Gunfire Erupts In Osogbo As Hoodlums Attack Governor Ademola Adeleke’s Convoy



Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, yesterday confirmed that hoodlums attacked the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun Oyetunji Laaroye II.

Adeleke, who had earlier received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo, visited the monarch at his Ojaba palace to express his appreciation following his re-election.

The governor, candidate of the Accord Party, was re-elected on Saturday with 511,067 votes, defeating the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Asiwaju Bola Oyebamiji, who polled 444,815 votes.

Alimi said the attack occurred as the governor’s convoy was leaving the palace, adding that the hoodlums shot sporadically before the governor’s security personnel repelled them.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.

Tension gripped the area following the shooting, which occurred between 3:50 p.m. and 4:10 p.m., shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met the monarch.

An eyewitness, Kola Bolomope, a trader in Oja Oba, Osogbo, said the governor and his entourage were received by Oba Oyetunji, adding that Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.

“I was outside my shop when the governor’s convoy came out, but suddenly, some hoodlums in a Sienna car came and started shooting sporadically, thereby causing panic, with people scampering for their lives.

“However, the security details of the governor repelled the attack and the hoodlums ran away,” he said.

A bus driver, simply identified as Kazeem, who was caught in the melee, also said the attack was targeted at the convoy.

The incident caused traders and residents around the palace to shut their businesses and flee to safety. A trader also claimed that the attackers damaged part of the palace gate.

The suspected gunmen reportedly moved towards the Osogbo Central Mosque before escaping through the Ita-Olokan axis of the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

However, Adeleke’s nephew and music star, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, dismissed the claim that the attack was directed at the governor.

Reacting on his X handle, Davido, who had posted photographs of himself and relatives in the governor’s entourage during the palace visit, said: “Lies, it was a fight outside the palace that had nothing to do with us. The people love Excellency.”

A 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf, was shot dead by suspected hoodlums at Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo, Osun State, shortly after Governor Ademola Adeleke visited the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun Oyetunji, at his palace.

The Osun State Police Command, which confirmed the incident yesterday, said it had commenced a full-scale investigation and launched efforts to apprehend those responsible.

In a statement, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, said the command received information about the shooting at about 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday.

Ojelabi said preliminary investigation indicated that Adeleke, accompanied by his nephew, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, had earlier paid a courtesy visit to the monarch.

He said shortly after the visit, a man identified as Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged”, allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was resisted by members of his security team.

According to the police, the incident attracted other suspected gang members, who temporarily blocked the palace entrance and obstructed the movement of the governor’s convoy before it eventually left the area safely.

The suspected gang members later left the vicinity but allegedly shot Yusuf at Ita-Olokan while fleeing the area.

“Upon receiving the information, the police immediately mobilised a patrol team to the scene, where the victim was found lying in a pool of blood.

“He was promptly rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, for medical attention. Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead by the doctors on duty,” the statement said.

The command said it had intensified efforts to identify and arrest the fleeing suspects.

The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, condemned the incident and assured residents that all available resources would be deployed to bring those responsible to justice.

Earlier, Ademola Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from INEC at its Osun State headquarters.

The certificate was presented by Professor Kunle Ajayi, an INEC National Commissioner representing the South-West and supervising electoral activities in Ogun, Ondo and Osun states.

Speaking after receiving the certificate, Adeleke announced plans to establish a ₦500 million Election Violence Victims Endowment Fund to support verified victims and families affected by election violence.

He said a Verification and Relief Committee, headed by the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Adewale Olumide Egbedun, would oversee the identification of victims and distribution of the assistance.

He said the initiative was a humanitarian responsibility rather than a political intervention, stressing that eligible victims would not be discriminated against on the basis of political affiliation, religion, ethnicity, gender or social status.

Adeleke also disclosed that his family, through the Springtime Development Foundation, would provide full scholarships up to university level for the children and dependants of those killed during the election violence.

“The Adeleke family, through the Springtime Development Foundation, will provide full scholarships up to university level for the children and dependants of those who lost their lives.

“The Osun State Government will also establish a ₦500 million Election Violence Victims Endowment Fund to support verified victims and affected families. A Verification and Relief Committee, chaired by the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Adewale Olumide Egbedun, will oversee the transparent identification of victims and equitable distribution of support.

“This is not a political intervention. It is a humanitarian responsibility. No eligible victim will be excluded because of political affiliation, religion, ethnicity, gender or social status. In grief, there is no political party. In our common humanity, we are one people,” he said.

Adeleke thanked the people of Osun State for their role in the election and called for unity, saying the contest was over and governance must now take precedence.

“The election is over. The campaign is over. The contest is over. Now is the time to govern, unite, heal and build.

“To those who voted for me, I thank you. To those who voted for another candidate, I thank you for participating in our democracy. I remain Governor to all, and together we must place Osun State above politics,” he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma Confirms Move To Resign And Contest For Imo West Senatorial Seat Bid

Nigerians React As 26-Year-Old Lady Who Died In Minister Of Works’ House Is Set For Burial Amid Investigation

The United States House Of Representatives Votes To Suspend 100% Aid To Nigeria Over Alleged Christian Persecution