The U.S. Secret Service Shot And Killed A 21-Year-Old Armed Suspect Near White House
The United States Secret Service, on Saturday evening, shot and killed a 21-year-old man after he allegedly opened fire near a security checkpoint close to the White House in Washington, D.C.
The suspect, identified as Nasire Best, reportedly approached a checkpoint outside the White House complex shortly before 6 p.m. ET and began firing at officers, according to a preliminary investigation by the Secret Service.
In response, Secret Service officers returned fire, critically injuring the suspect, who was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
A Secret Service spokesperson said, “During the shooting, a bystander was also struck by gunfire. It remains unclear whether the bystander was struck by the suspect’s initial gunfire or during the subsequent exchange of gunfire.”
The bystander was said to be in critical condition as of Saturday night.
President Donald Trump, who was inside the White House residence during the incident, was not harmed. Secret Service personnel also escaped uninjured.
A White House official confirmed that President Trump had been briefed on the development.
Reacting to the incident in a post on Truth Social on Sunday, Trump commended the swift response of security operatives.
The president stated that the incident “goes to show how important it is, for all future Presidents, to get, what will be, the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington, D.C. The National Security of our Country demands it!”
Sources familiar with the investigation disclosed that Best had previous encounters with the Secret Service dating back to 2025.
According to a law enforcement source, Best was detained in June 2025 after allegedly blocking an entry lane at the White House while claiming he was “God.” He was subsequently committed to the Psychiatric Institute of Washington for mental evaluation.
The same source said Best was arrested again in July 2025 after attempting to enter a White House complex driveway, prompting a court order barring him from the premises.
Investigators also reportedly uncovered disturbing social media posts allegedly made by Best, including claims that he was “the real” Osama bin Laden and comments indicating a desire to harm Trump.
However, authorities noted that Best had not previously displayed violent behaviour or been known to carry weapons.
The gunfire triggered panic within the White House press area, forcing journalists and staff to take cover.
Reporters on the North Lawn were rushed into the White House briefing room as Secret Service agents shouted “get down” and warned of “shots fired.”
Journalists at the scene reported hearing dozens of gunshots, while heavily armed Secret Service agents were later seen securing the area.
The lockdown, which lasted for about 40 minutes, was lifted shortly after 6:45 p.m. ET.
The incident occurred shortly after several top administration officials, including White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Vice President JD Vance, had departed the White House complex.
Meanwhile, FBI Director Kash Patel disclosed on X that FBI agents were assisting the Secret Service in the ongoing investigation.
_1.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment